2009/11/19

Inspirations



As every person, every object has its history. In this case every one of these pieces have an interesting story to tell, because they belonged to my artistic grand parents. Now it's time for them to find new home, because both of my grand parents have passed away. It's a shame I didn't get to know then too well, it would have been interesting to talk about ethetics, art life (the circles are very small in Finland so almost everyone knows everyone) and.. just about whatever. They would have had amazing stories to share, but it's too late now.



I don't feel like I've followed the footsteps of my family. Of course I'm related to normal people aswell, but there are many persons working with art or design. I'd like to be as talented as my cousins (other is magazine photographer, other a graphic designer who's worked for Marimekko, for example) or my grandmother, who was really dedicated to graphic drawing and painting.


Outi Heiskanen, a graphic designer

Instead of being really productive on fine arts, I feel I'm more a.. visual person. I like to see, observe, visualize, but the executing isn't my thing. Or at least not as much as organizing and doing ten thing at the same time. I enjoy hussling and planning more than concentrating on one thing. I like the big picture.



Even though it might seem that P-pas is just a label among others, it's 100% about esthetics. Everything I and my partners do to make P-pas better and better could be described as art. Art of daydreaming (because I don't sleep at nights, ''ha ha''..), art of creating, art of carrying through. I could do a posting about how a print collection is born, but there's no brief versions to describe the process. It's about loads of planning about

a) themes
b) shapes
c) colours
d) materials
e) quantity
f) quality (which is always excellent, obviously)

and much more. It's exciting, frightening and inspiring. Exciting, because it feels wonderful to give talented designers a chance to show their abilities - there will be an amazing collection designed by Maria Niemi round New Year! Frightening, because as a 18-year-old student/entrepreneur I can't afford too many bad choices on things that could cost me a fortune. And inspiring, because everything P-pas does is so goddamn cool you can't not get exhilarated about all the ideas and visions and creativity.

That's all I have to say.
xo, Essi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Open up!

since 09.09.09

Where are you from? 13.10.09 -->

free counters